Home Print this page Email this page Users Online: 514
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 127-131

Pattern of pediatric ocular trauma in rural area of Marathwada


Department of Ophthalmology, Swami Ramanand Teerth Rural Government Medical College, Ambajogai, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Chandrakishor Hemraj Pardhi
Powar Colony, Khairlanji Road, Tal-Tirora 441911 Gondia (Maharashtra)
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2320-3897.163256

Clinical trial registration 129 dated 01/01/14

Rights and Permissions

Aim: To identify cause, demographic and clinical profile, and evaluate final visual outcome of ocular trauma in pediatric age-group (= < 15 years) patients attending casualty. Materials and Methods: Prospective interventional study was carried out in rural area of Marathwada during July 2012-June 2013 where children up to 15 years with history of ocular trauma attending the casualty were included. Demographic details like age and sex, activity at time of injury, identifiable objects causing injury, presence or absence of supervision during injury were noted with follow-up period of 60 days. Results: In our study, total 79 patients with 94 eyes were enrolled. The age-group more affected was 5 years and above (65%, i. e., 61 eyes) than 5 years and below (35%, i. e., 33 eyes). Boys (57%) were affected more than girls (43%). Adnexal injuries found in 51% eyes, whereas closed and open globe injuries in 41% and 8%, respectively. Most of children reported to casualty within 24 hours (86% eyes), remaining after 24 hours (14% eyes). The objects causing injury were projectile objects (20%), blunt objects (14%), household objects (10%). The other causes of injury were sports (16%), accidental fall (15%), chemical and road traffic accidents (RTA) (8% each), burn (4%), animal bite (3%), and assault (2%). Best corrected visual acuity (VA) of more than 6/18 achieved in 68% eyes, 6/18-6/60 in 12% eyes, < 6/60-counting finger close face (CFCF) in 8% eyes, projection of light (PL) + perception of rays (PR), and no PL in (1%) each eyes. Most of the ocular injuries occurred at home (53%), at playground (16%), accidental fall (14%), and others. Conclusion: The age-group affected was 5 years and above. Boys were affected more than girls. The time of reporting to casualty was within 24 hours. Projectile objects, blunt objects, and household objects were common causes of injury. The places of injury were home, playground, and others. Most of the children achieved best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) more than 6/18.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3041    
    Printed46    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded597    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 3    

Recommend this journal